The Wii remote is one of the most advanced game controller ever produced. It’s position and movement can be read in three dimensions, it’s wireless, has a built in speaker and you can point it straight at the screen.
It’s the last ability that Johnny Lee is most interested. The Wii Remote has a infrared camera in the end and it is this (together with the Sensor Bar which transmits infrared) that allows you to point at the screen.
But the camera can actually pick up any infrared transmissions and it is this that brings us to Johnny Lee’s WiiHacks.
I’ll let him tell you the rest here:
there’s also an additional feature in this video:
Now, you’re almost certainly asking, how do I get me one of these? Well, quite simply:
- Buy a wii remote (they come seperate),
- Get a bluetooth reciever for your computer if you need one.
- By some Infrared transmitters and some batteries.
- Download Johnnys code from his website. Which is here: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/projects/wii/
- For some of Johnnys hacks you might also need the sensor bar (which can also be obtained seperatly)
I haven’t had a chance to play myself yet but I’ll be updating as soon as I can.